Popular central asian and middle eastern dish. High in nutrition, designed to be prepared and eaten communally.
- Long grain rice: 1 kg.
- Meat (lamb or any other kind of meat): 1.5 kg.
- Raisins, cardamom, paprika, coriander, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric (all optional).
- Put 250 ml of cooking oil in a cauldron and heat it until the oil is boiling, add a head of onion until it is black, then throw it out.
- Throw coarsely chopped meat into the cauldron and let it boil until it’s golden brown, then add a pinch of salt.
- Add 500 g of chopped onions, then wait 2 minutes and add 500 g of sliced carrots, boil for another 2 minutes.
- Add 500 ml of water diluted with tomato paste, boil for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the rice and put it into the cauldron but do not mix.
- Add another 500 ml of water diluted with tomato paste and wait until it is boiling.
- Reduce the heat to minimum, then add two table spoons of salt.
- Close the cauldron and leave it on low heat for 1.5-2 hours.
- 1 hour before it is ready(or when you can’t see water above the rice), add 5 cloves of garlic.
- You can now turn over the rice if it is under-cooked and add some raisins.
- Keep boiling until all water is evaporated.
- Roman Mirzayev.
Recipe tags: uzbek rice lamb