Simple veggie starter/side dish from Murcia (Southeastern Spain).
- Prep time: 5 minutes.
- Cook time: 10-15 minutes.
- Servings: 2.
- 1 White onion.
- 1 Eggplant.
- Olive oil.
- Egg (optional).
- Cut onion in julienne (a third or half of an onion ring).
- Cut the eggplant in slices or chunks that can fit in a teaspoon.
- Add oil to a pan (not a shallow one, wide and a bit deep is ideal if you have one) until it barely covers the vegetables.
- Cook and stir in medium heat until they are tender, caramelized and translucent.
- Kick up the heat to give them a crispy touch, but not for long.
- (Optional) Turn off the heat and crack open an egg on top.
- (Optional) Let the residual heat cook the egg. If it breaks just scramble it, the recipe doesn’t call for anything fancy.
- You can serve the dish with that oil (provided it is not burnt) or keep it for cooking other stuff.
- Enrique – github.
Recipe tags: spanish mediterranian side quick