Tuscan Style Pork Roast
An herbaceous pancetta stuffed pork roast with a crispy exterior. Finished with a lemon vinaigrette.
- Prep time: 30 minutes.
- Cook time: 2 hours.
- Serves: 6-8.
- Food processor.
- Fine mesh strainer.
- Cast iron skillet.
- Butchers twine.
- 1 pork Roast.
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh rosemary.
- 8 cloves garlic, minced.
- ⅓ cup high quality olive oil.
- 1 lemon.
- 4 oz pancetta or bacon.
- 1 tsp fresh parsley.
- Preheat oven to 275°F (135°C)
- Butterfly the roast by cutting into three parts by cutting into the side starting a third of the way up the roast. When you get to the end of the roast open it up and repeat for the remaining roast. You’re opening it up like a pamphlet.
- Cover with plastic wrap and beat with meat mallet to pound the pork to an even levelness.
- Mince garlic cloves(8) with the rosemary(2 Tbsp). Place into a cold pan with olive oil(⅓ cup) and zest of lemon(1). Keep lemon for later.
- Bring to slow simmer on medium low heat for 2-3 minutes. Strain the herbs making sure to squeeze all excess oil. Reserve oil for later.
- Add pancetta/bacon(4 oz) to food processor. Pulse a few times before adding the garlic/rosemary mixture. Process until a smooth paste forms.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the roast before placing the roast fat side down and spreading the paste over the roast leaving about a 2 inch gap on one side.
- Roll tightly towards the 2 inch gap and use butchers twine to secure the roll. Place a knot every inch or so.
- Bake at 275°F (135°C) for 2 hours or until internal temperature reads 135°F (57°C) in the thickest part.
- Add vegetable oil to cast iron skillet and heat on high until ripping hot. Cut remaining lemon in half. Brown all sides of pork roast and lemon using tongs.
- Juice the lemon into the remaining oil from the garlic/rosemary herb spread. Add freshly chopped parsley. Whisk with fork until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice roast into ½ inch thick slices and top with lemon herb vinaigrette.
- Use good quality olive oil and fresh herbs.
- Tanner Wilcox -– gitlab.
Recipe tags: italian pork