Tofu Stir Fry
A vegetarian (or vegan, without eggs) dish that is easy to make and very flavorful. Goes well with rice or noodles.
- Cook time: ~10 to 20 minutes.
- Servings: 3-5.
- One block of extra firm tofu.
- Three eggs (unless vegan).
- Vegetables per your choice, recommendations include:
- Sugar snap peas.
- Chopped cabbage.
- Sliced carrots.
- Soy or teriyaki sauce.
- 2 tbsp minced garlic.
- Coconut oil.
- (Optional) Deep freeze tofu at least 24 hours prior and then thaw. The freezing will crystallize the water inside and make the tofu spongey, giving it a more chewy texture, and aids in flavor absorption.
- Chop tofu into cubes or slabs per preference and carefully drain water.
- Allow tofu to soak in sauce for a few minutes.
- Pour cooking oil into a copper wok evenly to coat around the basin. Let it fill up about half an inch at the bottom.
- Heat oil at medium and place tofu, sauce, and minced garlic into pan. Adding sauce and herbs early helps tofu absorb the flavors.
- Shift and flip the tofu around, gradually turning up the heat as you go, until surface starts to turn brown.
- Add in hard vegetables. If using cabbage, save that for last. Cook until veggies soften.
- If non-vegan, scramble fry eggs in separate smaller pan until no longer runny, then add to stir fry.
- Once eggs are firm/brown to liking, add cabbage. Cabbage softens fast, so saving it for last lets it retain some crunch.
- Once cabbage softens, remove wok from heat. Serve on a plate with favorite sides.
- Kelvin Shadewing – website.
Recipe tags: vegetarian vegan tofu stir-fry