Pâté Chinois (Quebec Style Shepherd’s Pie)
This is the most traditional dish that every household eats in Quebec. It is very similar to a Shepherd’s Pie, as it is divided in 3 layers of ingredients: meat, legumes and mashed potatoes.
- Prep time: 20 minutes.
- Cook time: 40-60 minutes.
- Servings: 6-8.
Mashed potatoes layer
- 1½ lb of potatoes or around 6 big one, peeled and diced.
- 2 tbsp of butter.
- ½ cup milk.
- 1 tsp of herbs de Provence or dried parsley.
- ½ cup of strong cheddar cheese, grated (optional).
- Pinch of nutmeg.
- 1 tbsp of butter.
- 1 lb of ground beef.
- 1 onion, diced.
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
- 1 tbsp of herbs de Provence.
- 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- 1 small can (around 14oz) of whole kernel corn.
- 1 small can (around 14oz) of cream style corn.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large pot of salted water, cook the potatoes for 20-30 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Add the butter, the milk, the herbs, the nutmeg and mash the potatoes with a masher or an electric mixer. Gradually add the cheese. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a pan at medium-high heat, brown the onion in the butter and cook the beef until golden brown. Add the herbs, the Worcestershire and the soy sauce and cook it for another 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a 6-8 inch baking dish, press the meat into the bottom. Evenly cover with the whole kernel corn, the cream corn and finish with the layer of mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle some paprika to taste.
- Bake it in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
- (Optional) Finish the cooking under the broiler for no more than 2 minutes.
- Serve with ketchup on top and with marinated beets on the side.
- For a vegetarian alternative, you can replace the beef with 500g of fake meat and a can of 19oz of lentils (drain and washed).
- This recipe can be easily double and you can also freeze it for lunches.
- If you like mushrooms, you can brown ½ cup of sliced mushrooms with the onions of the beef layer.
- If you want to be wild, you can swap the corn layer with a mix of diced veges like black radishes, parsnips, carrots, turnips and/or cauliflower.
- Julien – contact.
Recipe tags: quebec beef pie potatoes