Pasta (store bought)
This is a simple outline of how to cook pasta.
- basil (optional)
- butter (optional)
- Fill a large pot about half or 3/4th full with water.
- Salt the water profusely. The rule of thumb is that water for boiling pasta should taste as salty as the sea.
- Bring water to a rolling boil.
- Now add pasta.
- Keep it boiling, but decrease heat as it tries to overflow.
- Wait until pasta is at the preferred softness (see below), then strain it.
- While the pasta is sitting in your strainer, you may add basil leaves or other herbs and aromatics.
- Optional: take a knob or so of room temperature butter and add it in and stirring it, melting it into the pasta.
The often recommended way to cook most pasta is al dente, which often means “slightly under cooked” or with a subtle firmness that makes it still substantial.
- Luke Smith – website.
Recipe tags: italian pasta quick basic side