Onion Raitha (Indian Tzatziki)
Raitha is an yogurt-based Indian style sauce that goes great with rice dishes such as Pilau and Biriyani. It’s quite similar to a Greek Tzatziki and is quick and quite easy to make. It’s great especially with very spicy Indian dishes as it provides a sweet and cooling effect.
- Prep time: 10 minutes.
- Cook time: 2 minutes.
- Servings: 4.
- 500g of Greek yogurt.
- One red onion.
- 50g of cucumber.
- Sprigs of mint.
- Dash of honey.
- Hint of chili powder (spicy option) or hint of sugar (sweet option).
- Chop the onion into tiny cubes (0.5-1cm or 3/8 inches sized cubes).
- Slice the cucumber into tiny strips (Julienne). Hand crush the mint.
- Prep the serving bowl with yogurt and add the onions and cucumber.
- Add the mint, honey, 1 tsp of salt and the sugar/chili powder.
- Mix well and serve. Garnish with additional mint as required.
- Ram Pari – website.
Recipe tags: quick sauce indian