Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar Sauce
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 25 min
- Servings: 6
- 3 tablespoons/~44 milliliters extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon/~14 grams unsalted butter.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces (alternatively, use breasts or legs).
- 4 shallots, finely chopped.
- 1 cup/720 milliliters red wine vinegar.
- 1 cup/240 milliliters sour cream or heavy cream.
- Finely chopped parsley (optional).
- Rub each piece of chicken in salt and pepper mixture.
- Heat oil and melt butter in deep-sided, 12-inch (~30 centimeter) sauté pan on medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, use tongs to add chicken skin side down.
- Brown both sides until skin is golden brown and chicken is cooked, about 12-15 minutes. Remove chicken to a platter and cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Pour out half of oil from pan, and use other half to brown shallots over medium-high heat. Slowly add vinegar and boil until reduced to almost a syrup. Add sour cream and cook until blended and brown, about 5 minutes. Return chicken to pan to coat and heat.
- Return chicken to platter. Add garnish if available, and serve.
Recipe tags: chicken french