Bolo do Caco (Caco Bread)
A traditional Madeiran-Portuguese Bread.
- Prep time: 1 hour.
- Cook time: 45 minutes.
- Rest time: 3 days.
- Servings: 10 loaves.
- 750 g sweet potato.
- 1 kg all-purpose flour.
- 150 ml water (warm at 75F / 35C).
- 3 tablespoons active dry yeast.
- 3 teaspoons salt.
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut into large pieces and place in a saucepan.
- Cover with water, bring to a boil and cook covered for 20 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and mash them. Add salt.
- Mix the yeast and water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Pour the flour into a large salad bowl.
- Dig a well in the center and add the mashed sweet potato and yeast.
- Knead to obtain a homogeneous and elastic dough.
- Let the dough ferment for 3 days in the refrigerator.
- After 3 days, divide the dough into 8 to 10 pieces of equal weight on a work surface dusted with flour.
- Form balls and flatten them to a thickness of about 1 inch (2,5cm).
- Let them rest for 30 minutes in a warm place, protected from drafts.
- Heat a dry pan over medium-high heat and cook the bolos do caco on both sides until a thin and slightly hard crust is formed. Turn them over very regularly.
- Then take each bolo do caco with tongs and turn them around on the hot pan to bake the sides.
- Serve warm or lukewarm with salted butter and parsley.
- João Freitas – website.
Recipe tags: bread portuguese