Almeirim Stone Soup
It is truly emblematic of Portuguese cuisine, as it uses all of the ingredients available in order to waste no food.
- Well-washed stone
- Kidney beans
- Pig’s ear (blanched and sliced thin)
- Chouriço negro or firm type of blood sausage
- Mixed meat chouriço or mediterranean smoked sausage
- Pork belly, fatback or bacon
- Potatoes, cubed
- Onions, chopped
- Garlic cloves
- Bay leaf
- Cilantro/coriander, chopped
- In a saucepan, boil the kidney beans with the pig’s ear, sausages, pork belly, onions, garlic and bay leaf in some water and add a well-washed stone. Season with the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- If necessary, add more water while it’s boiling.
- Once the meat is cooked, take it out and reserve, then add the diced potatoes and cilantro to the pot.
- Let the potatoes cook on medium to high heat for about 30-35 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are well cooked, you can remove the pot from the heat, add the previously chopped meat back in and stir it well.
- Pour into bowls and serve.
- Artur Mancha – Pleroma
Recipe tags: portuguese soup pork